For me, life has been a series of traps that eventually lead me to feeling like a caged animal. I think most of us are caged but maybe only 15% of us even realize that we’re in a cage. We envy those people who have figured out a way to get out. We numb ourselves each night because we realize that the work it would take to get out of our cage is too much. Most of us do not have enough time to realize our true purpose in life.
So, what crappy life situations have I gotten myself out of?
- I quit many crappy jobs
- I overcame many addictions: bulimia, alcoholism, drugs, sex
- I avoided going into big mortgage debt by buying my parents’ house.
- I was impregnated by a sociopath and I figured out how to leave him and gain full custody of my child.
- I overcame my lifelong fear of public speaking.
- I replaced a lot of my destructive compulsions with creative habits.
- I survived a date with a serial killer.
- I got out of soul-crushing poverty.
- I moved from a place I disliked to a place I wanted to live: the beach in San Diego. I moved at age 36 with only $2000.
- I lived off my 401k for 8 months and taught myself things I’d been wanting to learn including how to make music and videos.
- My paralyzing perfectionism disease is being managed.
- I used to dream of killing myself, now I dream of living and finishing my projects.
I’m nearly finished with the book, but the last stretch is usually the most difficult one for me since I am frequently paralyzed with perfectionism. I’ve been working solidly on the marketing plans and I can’t wait to share my results with you. I’m going FULL THROTTLE on the marketing and trying many unconventional methods. Also, I’m learning about BitTorrent and some other really cool new ways to distribute content. I’ll be documenting the results.
I’m also releasing the book for free for one month on Amazon. I don’t yet have my release date, but you can sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss getting your free ebook. Below is my first book trailer. There’s more to come and I’m interested to see which trailers people like the best.
Here’s the first book trailer
Here’s a sneak peek from the chapter where I detail how I survived a date with a serial killer:
Ten years ago I saved my own life. At that time I worked at Barnes and Noble in the music department. I frequently closed the store which meant that I left work around 11:30 pm. Back then I did really stupid and thoughtless things. I was really into taking risks. I had really low self-esteem and was always sort of desperate for male attention. These 2 attributes don’t mix well. One night a tall, blonde, clean-cut, drop-dead gorgeous, 20-something guy came to the music department. I was bored at my job and struck up a conversation with him. He seemed pretty normal, low-key and looked a lot like Dolph Lundgren. I suggested that we go get coffee after work and he agreed.
I met him outside the store and he had a duffel bag with him. I asked what was in it. He had several changes of clothes, all of which were sparkling clean. We talked about mundane topics until he sat down in my car. The second our car doors shut, he began telling me about a super disturbing story of how his sister had raped him with a hot dog when he was 8 years old. He continued talking about grisly things like how just two nights ago he had slept with two different women at the same time. He followed that up with detailing how he had found a man doing karate in his backyard. He told me how he had put his hands around the guy’s neck and squeezed the last breath out of him. He showed no emotion while talking about last night’s murder and he didn’t care at all how his story was affecting me. Fear gripped my mind and it was clear that I really screwed up this time. Would I be killed, raped, mutilated? Probably…….